There are key factors that influence correct product selection. These can often be grouped as below with some examples of considerations needed:
- What is the substrate onto which tiles are to be fixed?
- Is it flat - or does it need levelling/smoothing?
- Is it indoors or outdoors?
- Is it a domestic installation - or a public/communal place?
- Will it be a dry place, or intermittently wet - or regularly wet?
- What is the tiled area to be used for?
- Is there a power shower - or total immersion?
- Will it be subject to movement/vibration and/or heavy trafficking?
- Are there any special service requirements applicable (EXAMPLES: extra hygiene/ sterile conditions/protection from bacteria/chemical resistance)?
Tile type and size
- Are tiles porous - or fully-glazed/vitrified?
- Are they light-coloured/ translucent or natural stone?
- Is the tile material vulnerable to staining by grouting?
- Are the tiles subject to water-staining?
- Are they large format tiles? (Adhesive may take longer to set fully on some substrates).
- What is the tile weight per m2? (Is the substrate able to carry that weight?)
Guidance on all of these considerations can be found in the BAL professional fixing guides; "product selection" and its companion "sitework guidance" and can be downloaded below.
Product Selection Guide
Further tiling tips are also available in these guides including:
- Product classifications / Tile types
- Wall tiling weight guidance
- Product flexibility
- Use of admixtures
- Use of primers
Technical Advice ServiceFor full technical support and advice call the dedicated helpline:
0845 600 1 222
For fast and precise product selection and NBS specification assistance online: